After adding a service to the TiDB cluster, executing the command: tiup cluster reload tidb-test throws an exception

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: tidb集群添加服务后,执行命令:tiup cluster reload tidb-test 抛异常

| username: johnnnyli

[TiDB Usage Environment] Production Environment / Testing / PoC
[TiDB Version] 5.4
[Reproduction Path] Operations performed that led to the issue
[Encountered Issue: Issue Phenomenon and Impact] error: init config failed: mt1010:2379: transfer from /root/.tiup/storage/cluster/clusters/tidb-test/config-cache/pd-mt1010-2379.service to /tmp/pd_335adcbd-631d-45fb-acd5-e296898abb06.service failed: executor.ssh.execute_failed: Failed to transfer file over SCP for ‘tidb@mt1010:9922’ {ssh_stderr: Authentication failed. lost connection, ssh_stdout: , ssh_command: scp -r -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -P 9922 -o ConnectTimeout=5 -i /root/.tiup/storage/cluster/clusters/tidb-test/ssh/id_rsa /root/.tiup/storage/cluster/clusters/tidb-test/ssh/id_rsa /root/.tiup/storage/cluster/clusters/tidb-test/config-cache/pd-gwmidc1010-2379.service tidb@mt1010:/tmp/pd_335adcbd-631d-45fb-acd5-e296898abb06.service}, cause: exit status 1
[Resource Configuration]
[Attachments: Screenshots/Logs/Monitoring]

| username: hey-hoho | Original post link

Error message indicates scp failure, test if there is an issue with SSH mutual trust.

| username: johnnnyli | Original post link

There is no issue with SSH mutual trust, and there is no problem with node-to-node hopping. I have set up passwordless authentication for both the root and tidb users.

| username: tiger-liu | Original post link

The reason is that the /tmp directory does not have sufficient permissions. You can manually execute the following command on the control node:
scp -r -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -P 9922 -o ConnectTimeout=5 -i /root/.tiup/storage/cluster/clusters/tidb-test/ssh/id_rsa /root/.tiup/storage/cluster/clusters/tidb-test/ssh/id_rsa /root/.tiup/storage/cluster/clusters/tidb-test/config-cache/pd-gwmidc1010-2379.service tidb@mt1010:/tmp/pd_335adcbd-631d-45fb-acd5-e296898abb06.service

I just tried this scp command. My installation and usage were done using the root user, but this scp is using the tidb user. I don’t quite understand why this is.

| username: TiDBer_pkQ5q1l0 | Original post link

If tiup does not specify a user, it will default to using the current user.

However, from this error, it seems that the file distribution is using the tidb user. Is it necessary to specify a particular user when scaling up or down?

I’ll give it a try.

| username: xingzhenxiang | Original post link

It’s best to use the one generated by tiup for TiDB’s password-free setup.

| username: 孤君888 | Original post link

It looks like an SSH connection issue based on the error message.

By setting up passwordless authentication between TiDB and the root user, and placing each other’s public keys into their respective authorized_keys files, the issue has been resolved.

Copy the public and private keys under the root user to the tiup directory, and re-execute tiup cluster reload tidb-pro

cp /root/.ssh/id_rsa /home/tidb/.tiup/storage/cluster/clusters/tidb-test/ssh/id_rsa
cp /root/.ssh/authorized_keys /home/tidb/.tiup/storage/cluster/clusters/tidb-test/ssh/id_rsa.pub

This method has resolved the issue.