After Downgrading from V7.6 to TiDB7.5, Overall Performance Has Significantly Decreased

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 从V7.6 退回到TiDB7.5 发现 整体性能都下降了很多

| username: 郑旭东石家庄

[TiDB Usage Environment] Production Environment
[TiDB Version]
[Reproduction Path]
[Encountered Problem:] All SQL executions are slow, creating a table takes 6 minutes, and creating an index on an empty table also takes 5 minutes.
[Resource Configuration] Go to TiDB Dashboard - Cluster Info - Hosts and take a screenshot of this page
[Attachments: Screenshots/Logs/Monitoring]

Attached is the architecture diagram and configuration

The hard disk is a 10,000 RPM mechanical drive. Previously, using V7.6 was fine, but now switching to the stable version 7.5.1, everything is not working.

| username: TiDBer_jYQINSnf | Original post link

Why switch to 7.5? If you can use 7.6, just use 7.6. I’ve encountered a situation where performance dropped significantly when upgrading from 4.0.16 to 6.5.2, but it got better after a few days.

| username: h5n1 | Original post link

Does “rollback” mean that a cluster was created in version 7.5.1 after having a cluster in version 7.6?

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

Once there is data scheduling on a mechanical disk, it becomes very slow.

| username: 托马斯滑板鞋 | Original post link

Please provide the dashboard SQL latency and host monitoring, especially for 50.24. I suspect resource contention. :upside_down_face:

| username: 蓝胖爸爸 | Original post link

May I ask how exactly the rollback is performed? Did you create an empty cluster?

| username: 郑旭东石家庄 | Original post link

Back up the data, uninstall 7.6, and reinstall 7.5.1.

| username: zhaokede | Original post link

Is this the same issue as the one in this post?

| username: 像风一样的男子 | Original post link

Version 7.6 is a development version, not an official release version, and it is not recommended for use in a production environment.

| username: DBAER | Original post link

You have both TiKV and TiFlash in this 50.24 setup, and the configuration is low. It feels like resource enforcement.

| username: paulli | Original post link

Compare the resource usage of the performance panels before and after.

It’s not the same issue.

| username: Kongdom | Original post link

Is it possible to single out a slow SQL in the dashboard and take a look? To see exactly which step is slow?
However, I tend to agree with the above analysis of resource contention.

| username: WalterWj | Original post link

It’s not possible to roll back, right? :thinking: Could it be that a new cluster was created and the data was exported and imported logically?

Yes, a full backup of the data, then delete the original cluster, create a new one, and import the data. With limited resources, we have no choice but to delete. If resources were sufficient, we could keep both and migration would be easier.

| username: 小于同学 | Original post link

Still not enough resources.

| username: dba远航 | Original post link

The same hard drive shouldn’t have such a big difference with just a minor version change. Could it be that version 7.6 has significant optimizations for hard drives?

From the perspective of SQL execution efficiency, version 7.6 is faster than version 7.5, especially when handling multiple tasks simultaneously.

Indeed, resources are a significant limitation.

| username: redgame | Original post link

Is it that obvious? I’ll try version 7.6.