Can Ubuntu 22 Virtual Machine Be Used as a Practice Environment?

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: Ubuntu22虚拟机能否作为练习环境

| username: TiDBer_JUi6UvZm

Recently, I’ve been studying TiDB and plan to set up a practice environment on a local virtual machine. I have a local development environment with Ubuntu 22, and I’m wondering if it can be used to install TiDB. According to the official documentation, CentOS 7.3 and above 7.x versions are generally recommended.

I would like to ask everyone, how do you set up your practice environments? Do you use a local CentOS 7.3+ virtual machine or a cloud server? Are there any affordable cloud server recommendations?

| username: DBAER | Original post link

It should be possible. I remember using it before.

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

Yes, it can be installed. I installed the TiDB cluster on Ubuntu 22.04. For practice, if your computer has enough memory, you can run a single-node setup on a virtual machine. It is best to allocate more than 10GB of memory.
TiDB Quick Start Guide | PingCAP Documentation Center

| username: DBAER | Original post link

Just use the playground.

| username: Kamner | Original post link

Sure, but it is recommended to use a highly compatible system in a production environment.

| username: TiDBer_QYr0vohO | Original post link

No problem at all.

| username: TiDBer_JUi6UvZm | Original post link

In that case, I won’t hold back. “CentOS 7.3 and above 7.x versions” is recommended for production environments, but for learning purposes, feel free to use any version.

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

We’ve been running Ubuntu for a year, and there have been no compatibility issues from TiDB version 6 to 7.5.

| username: mono | Original post link

Sure. But it is not recommended to use Ubuntu for the server.

| username: TiDBer_21wZg5fm | Original post link

For learning, it shouldn’t be a problem. If it’s for production, CentOS is more commonly used.

| username: TIDB-Learner | Original post link

No problem.

| username: madcoder | Original post link

No problem, I am using a virtual machine with Ubuntu 22 installed.

1. It’s best to use three virtual machines: 3 PD, 2 TiDB, and 3 TiKV, and deploy according to the official TiUP guide (使用 TiUP 部署 TiDB 集群 | PingCAP 文档中心).
  2. You can buy a lightweight ECS server from the cloud, but cloud deployment is not recommended due to the high cost.
    Welcome to learn and communicate together :raised_hands:
| username: TiDBer_小阿飞 | Original post link

Aren’t Linux environments all similar? Don’t domestic systems like Kylin also support it?

| username: TiDBer_RjzUpGDL | Original post link

TiDB Cloud can be tried for one year.

| username: system | Original post link

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.