Compatibility and Cross-Version Recovery of BR

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 关于br兼容性及跨版本恢复

| username: 滴滴嗒嘀嗒

Currently, TiDB has so many versions:

BR also has so many versions:

Currently, the compatibility information I can find only covers: TiDB v4.0, TiDB v5.0, TiDB nightly, TiDB v6.0, v6.1, v6.2, v6.3, v6.4, v6.5

https://docs.pingcap.com/zh/tidb/v5.2/backup-and-restore-tool

TiDB Backup and Restore Overview | PingCAP Documentation Center
Is there a more complete compatibility description available?

| username: redgame | Original post link

My understanding is that if it’s available, you can use it; if not, try it yourself.

| username: xfworld | Original post link

BR is best if it’s the same version, as this will minimize issues.
Next, the minor version should be the same, such as 6.1.X or 6.5.X.
Then, the major version should be the same, such as 6.X or 7.X.

Cross-version can be quite difficult… For cross-version, it’s best to use logical backup or other methods like ticdc to transfer data.

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

It’s best to test across versions; don’t blindly trust the documentation.

| username: 像风一样的男子 | Original post link

Tested and found that cross-major version upgrades can have inexplicable and uncontrollable errors. It’s best to use the same version.

| username: ShawnYan | Original post link

It is recommended to use the latest LTS version, and BR should also use the same version. If there is a need for cross-version data synchronization, TiCDC can also be chosen.

| username: 有猫万事足 | Original post link

In version 6.2, the API version of the TiKV client was upgraded from v1 to v2.

Some parameter descriptions clearly state that the data format will be different.

Therefore, it is likely to be very difficult to be compatible before and after version 6.2.

| username: Kongdom | Original post link

What I understand is that the versions should correspond one-to-one, at the very least the major versions should be consistent. The concern with cross-versioning is the risk of forgetting to upgrade synchronously.

| username: system | Original post link

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.