If You Persist in Doing One Thing

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 如果坚持做一件事

| username: 是一只很菜的DBA

I’m feeling lost. I want to study but can’t keep it up, have no direction, can’t persist, can’t relax, and can’t compete. Frustrated~~~

| username: 有猫万事足 | Original post link

Usually, when I start to feel mentally exhausted, it’s because I’m overly tired. If I can sleep, a nap will make things better.

| username: 是一只很菜的DBA | Original post link

Usually, I also think this way, or maybe I should give myself a break, step out of this circle for a while, and then come back.

| username: Kongdom | Original post link

Reject internal competition~~~

Yes, I even offered to take unpaid leave, but they still wouldn’t let me. :innocent:

Do we need to completely lie down?

Anyway, I just sleep. If I have insomnia, I pet my cat. After getting tired of petting, I fall asleep, and when I wake up, I’m fine again. :rofl:

Rejecting involution does not mean lying flat. You can use the time spent on involution to work hard on improving yourself, as self-improvement is the foundation of standing in society.

Involution, a popular term on the internet, originally referred to a phenomenon where a certain cultural pattern reaches its final form, but cannot stabilize or transform into a new form, and can only become increasingly complex internally. Through internet dissemination, many university students use it to refer to irrational internal competition or “forced voluntary” competition. It now refers to the phenomenon where peers compete by putting in more effort to vie for limited resources, leading to a decrease in the “effort-to-reward ratio” for individuals. It can be seen as the “inflation” of effort.

| username: xiaohetao | Original post link

Reject internal friction. If you want to do something, try to do it as soon as possible. If you don’t do it and feel unwilling, you will fall into the whirlpool of internal friction, so I want to reject it.

I totally agree, internal friction is completely useless. :+1:
Neither resting nor getting things done. Habitual internal friction is equivalent to habitual self-denial and habitual waste of time. Even if you spend this time playing, at least you can gain happiness.
So once you find yourself caught in internal friction, no matter what you want to do, as long as it’s not illegal, you should go ahead and do it immediately.

| username: xiaohetao | Original post link

:handshake: Though miles apart, we are close at heart. :grinning:

| username: cassblanca | Original post link

About 10 years ago, I was working as a PM in the IT department of a bank under a central enterprise. At that time, Oracle was still the only choice for large state-owned enterprises, telecommunications, and financial companies. One day during work hours, I was studying the OCP course when my leader patted me on the shoulder from behind and said meaningfully, “Don’t bother, it’s useless.” I was very puzzled. The entire company only allowed the use of Oracle databases, with hundreds of Oracle databases in use. Why would my learning be useless?

Later, due to work issues, I gradually came into contact with all seven DBAs in the company. I bluntly criticized six of them in public, calling them “fake DBAs” because they couldn’t even explain the Oracle AWR report clearly. So, whenever I encountered problems, I solved them myself and never sought help from the DBAs. Gradually, I began to understand my leader’s “useless theory.” The corporate creed was “the more you do, the more mistakes you make, so it’s better to do nothing.” When problems arose, the first thought was to shift the blame and distance oneself from responsibility.

After several years of this harsh environment, I gradually adapted to this corporate culture, becoming adept at shifting blame and avoiding responsibility. My leader even praised me because I rarely made mistakes and could help him offload many tasks. However, deep down, I strongly disagreed with this cultural attitude. Using monopolistic resources and systemic advantages to solidify people’s thinking, turning everyone into “the person they hate.” Looking back, the only thing I’m grateful for is that I never gave up on learning. After completing the OCP course, I started learning about big data, distributed architecture, humanities, geography, and history. I also continued reading during my free time at work.

After working within the system for about five years, I could no longer tolerate the lengthy processes, the superficial and deceitful blame-shifting culture, and the hopeless situation of having 20 people vying for three positions. I chose to resign without another job lined up and traveled around the country. I visited the serene and pure Heavenly Lake in Xinjiang, searched for the wild man in Shennongjia, explored the world-renowned scenery of Guilin, marveled at the beauty of Huangshan, sought wisdom at Qingcheng Mountain, and paid homage to the Dujiangyan irrigation system. Two months later, on my way home, I received a call from a headhunter, and my career took a step forward.

Sharing my personal experience is not to show off or encourage others to follow my path. Please don’t misunderstand.

I just want to say:

1. There is really nothing too difficult in life. Most of the time, it’s just that we think it’s hard and can’t get over it mentally.
  2. Whether in work or life, it’s important to always know your position and value. Don’t belittle yourself, but also don’t give up on yourself (like how I could shift blame at work but never gave up on learning and didn’t stop progressing just because I adapted to the system. Keep a strong inner self and stay true to your original intentions).
  3. Learning is lifelong and won’t leave you directionless. Confusion is temporary and requires self-relief (like how I chose to travel and relax, and everything got better).

Finally, I want to say, refuse to lie flat, refuse to engage in involution, and know what you want. The sky leaves no trace of the bird, but I have flown past!

Wishing you all the best!

:+1: :+1: :+1:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

| username: ShawnYan | Original post link

:+1::+1::+1:

| username: tidb菜鸟一只 | Original post link

Just develop the habit.

| username: redgame | Original post link

It is inevitable to encounter difficulties and failures, but please do not be discouraged. View challenges and failures as part of the learning process and draw lessons from them.

Thank you all for your guidance and suggestions, much appreciated.

Alright, keep it up!

| username: system | Original post link

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.