Installing TiDB Database Cluster

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 安装Tidb数据库集群

| username: TiDB_luk

Currently in the process of learning, I want to set up a TiDB cluster database (hoping for PD3, TiKV3, TiFlash1, TiDB server1), but I don’t know where to find such experimental machines. I hope community friends can give some suggestions or solutions! As a newbie, I would be very grateful. (My laptop has 16GB of memory, and if I install a virtual machine, it doesn’t seem to be enough, probably won’t run…)

| username: xfworld | Original post link

You can apply for a free cluster on TiDB Cloud to try it out…

Refer to this…

If you want to set it up yourself, you can buy a cloud server… or you can buy a high-performance host…

| username: TiDB_luk | Original post link

Thank you, thank you. Buying a high-performance host, does this refer to Windows or Linux?

The operating system doesn’t matter as long as the client can run virtualization (VM). As long as the resources can meet your TiDB deployment needs, isn’t that enough?

:joy::ok_hand:

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

Let me share what I did: you can install it on your own PC, preferably with 32GB of physical memory. If you don’t have enough, you can buy some more. I bought two 8GB sticks on Pinduoduo for just 160 yuan. Once you have enough memory, install VMware 17 and create a Linux virtual machine with 16GB or more allocated memory. It’s best if your PC isn’t too outdated; mine is an i5 10400, and it handles stress tests without any issues. You can start with just one PD, and skip installing TiFlash initially, then expand later.

10th gen i5 or above, 32GB of memory, more than 1TB SSD, install Windows and VMware 17, it’s not very expensive.

Well, the configuration is a bit low. I bought a 128GB, i9 10850k machine with NVMe. Running TiDB is very smooth and stable, with a 2.5GB network…

| username: 啦啦啦啦啦 | Original post link

“Extravagant to the extreme :+1: I want to smash my laptop.”

Rich person, this is too expensive.

I originally only wanted to buy 64GB, 32GB * 2, but my buddy saw that my motherboard had 4 memory slots, so he went ahead and got 4 sticks, filling them all up…

At the time of purchase, it wasn’t expensive, but now it feels like everything except SSDs has gone up a bit in price.

| username: 赤金狮子 | Original post link

As a beginner, what is the function of the TiDB server?

That’s right, I don’t dare to list my computer specs :joy:

I suggest accepting it, expanding the memory, and having some fun…

| username: cassblanca | Original post link

My configuration: 7.86T U2 PCIE48, 16 CPUs, 128G Memory, 5 virtual machines running PD3, TiKV3, TiFlash1, TiDB server3, Alert1, Grafana*1, no pressure at all.

| username: system | Original post link

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.