Is it possible to change TiDB from SSD to Azure Blob Storage?

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: Tidb 从SSD 变更到Azure Blob存储上可以吗?

| username: TiDBer_卑微打工rer

[TiDB Usage Environment] Production / Testing / PoC
[TiDB Version]
[Reproduction Path] What operations were performed that led to the issue
[Encountered Issue: Issue Phenomenon and Impact]
[Resource Configuration] Enter TiDB Dashboard - Cluster Info - Hosts and take a screenshot of this page
[Attachments: Screenshots / Logs / Monitoring]
The data warehouse is built on Azure cloud, and the storage used is Azure Blob’s Data Lake. We hope to reduce data movement. We are wondering if TiKV’s storage can also use Azure Blob storage. Moving data from HDFS to TiDB within the same subscription. Looking forward to expert advice.

| username: Billmay表妹 | Original post link

Overseas businesses can use serverless, which is both cheap and easy to use TiDB Cloud

| username: 托马斯滑板鞋 | Original post link

I feel it will be terrible, unless Microsoft has optimizations for streaming data/small batch I/O.

| username: MrSylar | Original post link

I don’t think so. TiKV uses file storage, while blob is object storage. Currently, only tools like BR in TiDB can use object storage.

| username: tidb狂热爱好者 | Original post link

Impossible to achieve.

| username: hey-hoho | Original post link

Currently, TiKV cannot run directly on S3. If you want to cross subscriptions, you can allocate some managed disks to attach to the VM and then install TiDB. :rofl:

| username: Kongdom | Original post link

:yum: Indeed, serverless is both cheap and easy to use. TiDB Cloud

| username: dba远航 | Original post link

I haven’t used it before.

| username: 春风十里 | Original post link

TiDB itself is an HTAP database and supports data warehousing functions. There’s no need to migrate data, right? Additionally, Microsoft provides an object storage solution for the cloud. Blob storage is best suited for storing massive amounts of unstructured data. Unstructured data does not follow a specific data model or definition (such as text or binary data). As [MrSylar] mentioned, TiDB uses a file system, not object storage. So it should not be feasible.

| username: wangccsy | Original post link

Theoretically, there is no problem.