Issues with Adjusting Memory for Default TiDB Deployment Using docker-compose.yml

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 使用docker-compose.yml默认部署TiDB相关内存调整的问题

| username: wenrou

[TiDB Usage Environment] Production Environment
[TiDB Version] v7.1.0
[Encountered Problem: Phenomenon and Impact] Memory adjustment for TiDB related components in the default docker-compose.yml deployment
[Attachment: Screenshot/Log/Monitoring]

High memory usage in the database can easily cause the server to freeze. Is it possible to modify the configuration file to keep the memory usage within a certain ratio?
If so, which configuration file and which parameter should be modified?

| username: tidb菜鸟一只 | Original post link

Find your docker-compose.yml configuration file and see where the tikv configuration file is located. Modify the block-cache-size in the configuration file, setting this value smaller. It should not exceed your physical machine’s memory divided by the number of tikv nodes divided by 2.

| username: wenrou | Original post link

There are multiple block-cache-size settings in the tikv.toml configuration file. Which specific one should be modified?

You are on 7.1, this parameter was deprecated after 6.6. Just check your current show config like '%storage.block-cache.capacity%'; to see what value is set first.

Where should this command be executed? It doesn’t respond when executed in the database.

| username: Kongdom | Original post link

Have you checked the official memory tuning documentation?

show config like ‘%block-cache%’; take a look

I have read the official documentation, but I don’t quite understand it.
Three TiKV instances are deployed on one server, and there are multiple block-cache-size properties in the tikv.toml configuration file. I don’t know how to modify them.
tikv.toml (17.5 KB)

Or

Or set the capacity in the configuration file to the size of the physical machine’s memory divided by the number of TiKV nodes divided by 2.

Are you deploying on a single node?

How about show config like '%capacity%';?

Deployed using docker-compose on a virtual machine.

Oh, for hybrid deployment, you can refer to this.

Executing it in the database yields no results.

It’s the same, but it’s best to set it by dividing the standard value by 3. :joy: However, this might make the value relatively small. You can verify it; if the standard value works, set it according to the standard value. If not, adjust it accordingly.

Does this have value?

SHOW config WHERE name LIKE '%capacity%'

Currently, in the tikv.toml configuration file, there are multiple locations with the block-cache-size attribute that are commented out. If I uncomment them, there are options for 1GB and 256MB. I’m afraid of crashing the database and don’t dare to make changes lightly. This is a production database that is currently in use, so I want to ask an expert for specific advice.

There is a value

Assuming you choose a virtual machine with a total of 100G and deploy so many things on it:
set config tikv storage.block-cache.capacity=5G;
I suggest you set it smaller first, otherwise, it feels very easy to OOM.