Performance Comparison with MySQL

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 与mysql的性能对比

| username: TiDBer_nqx4E7Nk

Currently, we are encountering write bottlenecks with our online MySQL. Can TiDB meet our needs? While conducting research, how should I make comparisons?

| username: tidb菜鸟一只 | Original post link

Deploy more TiKV nodes and then reasonably plan the table structure. After eliminating table hotspots, TiDB’s write efficiency can be very high.

| username: TiDBer_nqx4E7Nk | Original post link

So it’s actually difficult to measure performance compared to MySQL on a single machine, and you need to deploy multiple instances locally, right?
I also want to ask if the TiKV node you mentioned is the same as TiDB?

| username: 像风一样的男子 | Original post link

How much concurrency for writing?

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

How large is the MySQL write volume?

| username: 这里介绍不了我 | Original post link

Please share the magnitude and other details.

| username: tidb菜鸟一只 | Original post link

A single-node TiDB definitely can’t compare to MySQL. TiDB is distributed and is only suitable for scenarios with large data volumes, high concurrency, and multiple machines.

| username: 江湖故人 | Original post link

Conduct a performance test comparison.
It is recommended that the number of TiKV nodes in the test environment be greater than the number of replicas, and set sync-log = false.

Row operations

Online sharding: These are the operations for one of the databases.

| username: 江湖故人 | Original post link

So it’s actually difficult to measure performance compared to MySQL on a single machine; you need to deploy multiple instances locally, right? Also, I want to ask if the TiKV node you mentioned is TiDB?

Oh, so you’re a newcomer. TiDB is a distributed database, and its advantage is that it can integrate resources from multiple physical machines. If managed properly, its concurrency performance is definitely better than MySQL. TiKV is a component under the TiDB database. The TiDB topology is as follows:

I suggest checking out the Beginner’s Guide, and then setting up an environment for stress testing.

| username: xingzhenxiang | Original post link

If the changes are minor, first check if an NVMe SSD can solve the issue. TiDB requires significantly more resources to handle the same amount of write demands compared to MySQL.

| username: 不想干活 | Original post link

Distributed deployment should be possible, but single-node deployment is not recommended.

| username: wangccsy | Original post link

Each has its own core.

Currently, I found that TiDB is not hosted on Alibaba Cloud, and it seems that PolarDB-X is simpler. All our machines are on Alibaba Cloud, so if we use TiDB, will the maintenance cost be higher?

| username: 魔人逗逗 | Original post link

There are TiDB-related products on the Alibaba Cloud Marketplace. You can check this out: 云数据库 TiDB 上线阿里云心选商城 | PingCAP

This is deployed through Alibaba Cloud Compute Nest. The documentation for Compute Nest is here: https://help.aliyun.com/zh/compute-nest/use-cases/deploy-a-single-zone-tidb-cluster

| username: 像风一样的男子 | Original post link

I suggest setting up a TiDB cluster to test the performance. If you are using Alibaba Cloud, it is recommended to use local SSDs, as the performance will be much better.

| username: Jellybean | Original post link

This depends on the scale of your data and the load of your business. You can start by briefly describing the data scale and business scenario, and we can help you analyze it together.

| username: dba远航 | Original post link

It depends on the business requirements. TiDB is distributed, while MySQL is single-node or master-slave.

| username: zhang_2023 | Original post link

It depends on your business volume and business requirements.