Questions about BR Incremental Backup for Single Table

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 关于br备份增量备份单表的疑问

| username: Jolyne

[TiDB Usage Environment] Test
[TiDB Version]
[Reproduction Path] What operations were performed to cause the issue
Backed up a single table using BR, then inserted data into the table. After about an hour, performed an incremental backup, but encountered a GC error. Only inserts were made without other modifications. Why did the GC error occur? Is it because BR incremental backup can only target all tables and not individual tables and databases?
[Encountered Issue: Issue Phenomenon and Impact]
[Resource Configuration] Go to TiDB Dashboard - Cluster Info - Hosts and take a screenshot of this page
[Attachments: Screenshots/Logs/Monitoring]
First performed a full backup of the table

Retrieved the time before the incremental backup

Encountered a GC error when performing an incremental backup an hour after inserting new data

| username: ffeenn | Original post link

It seems that your TS has timed out.

I remember it was reclaimed by GC in 12 or 15 minutes, which means incremental backups should be done within this time frame.

| username: Jolyne | Original post link

I didn’t perform any data deletion or modification, I only did inserts, so theoretically, this shouldn’t be the case, right?

Also, according to this logic, it doesn’t make sense. For example, if I did a full backup the previous day and want to do an incremental backup today, if the GC (Garbage Collection) time is set too short, wouldn’t the incremental backup also report an error? I see the official documentation states this but does not mention the GC issue.

| username: Kongdom | Original post link

Refer to this and take a look, it seems to be a similar issue.

Yes, I forgot where I saw the specific time, but this is indeed how it is done. I haven’t delved into it further since then.

:thinking: Do I need to adjust the GC time? Will pure inserts without deletions also be affected by GC?

There is a description

The GC mechanism not only recycles deleted data but also includes historical versions.

Thanks, got it. I didn’t look into this carefully before. So, the data that isn’t deleted after GC will also be timestamped.

:handshake: :handshake: :handshake: Yes

Thank you :smiley:

| username: dba远航 | Original post link

The safe point time for GC exceeds the selected time point.

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

Minor issue, modify the GC time, extend it a bit.

| username: xmlianfeng | Original post link

The GC time has passed. Change the GC time.

| username: andone | Original post link

Since v4.0.8, BR has supported adaptive GC, so there is no need to manually adjust tikv_gc_life_time.

| username: system | Original post link

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.