Space Issues in TiDB

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: TIDB的空间问题

| username: TiDBer_Terry261

[TiDB Usage Environment] Production Environment / Testing / PoC
[TiDB Version]
[Reproduction Path] What operations were performed when the issue occurred
[Encountered Issue: Issue Phenomenon and Impact]
The disk space of one KV node is only about 500G. I am planning to create several indexes on a large table (10 billion records). Initially, I suspected that due to insufficient space, the index creation might fail or cause other issues. However, upon observation today, the disk space on the machine with less space has not changed much, and the indexes were created successfully. Could someone explain how TiDB plans disk space and the reason behind the issue I encountered? Thank you.
[Resource Configuration] Go to TiDB Dashboard - Cluster Info - Hosts and take a screenshot of this page
[Attachments: Screenshots/Logs/Monitoring]

| username: tidb菜鸟一只 | Original post link

Is the total space on each machine consistent? What about memory and CPU?

| username: TiDBer_Terry261 | Original post link

Except for the disk capacity, the hardware of each machine is exactly the same.

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

PD will consider comprehensive factors such as disk capacity, access hotspots, and the number of replicas to schedule the distribution of TiKV regions. In your case, it is possible that the node with smaller disk capacity is not assigned any regions.

| username: 啦啦啦啦啦 | Original post link

Each Store specifies a Capacity parameter at startup, indicating the storage space limit of the Store. When PD performs scheduling, it will consider the remaining storage space of the node.

| username: TiDBer_Terry261 | Original post link

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

| username: system | Original post link

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.