The Impact of TiDB Index Merge Feature on Performance

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: TIDB 索引合并特性对性能的影响

| username: residentevil

[TiDB Usage Environment] Production Environment
[TiDB Version] V6.5.8
[Encountered Problem: Problem Phenomenon and Impact] According to the official documentation, index merge supports two types: intersection and union. Has anyone’s business line SQL used this feature? How effective is it?

| username: TiDBer_RjzUpGDL | Original post link

When there are too many indexes involved or the data distribution is uneven, the performance is poor.

| username: zhaokede | Original post link

I haven’t used it before; usually, I optimize tables or rebuild indexes.

| username: residentevil | Original post link

In the case of “or” scenarios, if it is an intersection, the performance might be better. It’s hard to say for a union.

| username: zhang_2023 | Original post link

Generally, it involves rebuilding the index.

What does rebuilding an index mean?

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

I don’t quite understand.

| username: redgame | Original post link

Haven’t used it yet…

It mainly depends on the business needs; sometimes a composite index is created directly.

For cases where the filter condition includes “or,” this feature is still needed.

This requires the use of index merge union.

| username: 小于同学 | Original post link

I haven’t dealt with it. How do you merge indexes?

From the official documentation, it seems that the intersection and union of AND and OR filter conditions can be merged. The general idea is that a query SQL can use both types of INDEX simultaneously, and the results returned by the indexes are then merged. I’m not sure if this understanding is correct.

| username: FutureDB | Original post link

In general, OR scenarios are still somewhat useful. For AND scenarios, it’s better to create a composite index because specifying the execution plan is relatively difficult to maintain.

| username: TiDBer_aaO4sU46 | Original post link

Haven’t used it…

| username: tidb菜鸟一只 | Original post link

If there are many AND conditions, it’s better to use a composite index directly. If there are many OR conditions, index merging is more useful.

| username: TiDBer_rvITcue9 | Original post link

Don’t know

| username: system | Original post link

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.