TiCDC not synchronizing, checkpoint stuck

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: ticdc不同步了,checkpoint卡住不动

| username: TiDBer_pkQ5q1l0

[TiDB Usage Environment] Production Environment
[TiDB Version] 5.2.1
[Reproduction Path]
One of the upstream source tidb-server nodes experienced an OOM. After the OOM, ticdc got stuck and seemed to have encountered a BUG. Then I tried to delete the synchronization task and recreate it, but encountered the error [CDC:ErrStartTsBeforeGC] fail to create changefeed because start-ts 440847256865996803 is earlier than GC safepoint at 440856954345881600, making it impossible to recreate. Upon checking, the actual gc_safe_point is 440847256865996803. Why can’t it be created?

[Encountered Problem: Problem Phenomenon and Impact]
[Resource Configuration]
[Attachments: Screenshots/Logs/Monitoring]

| username: TiDBer_pkQ5q1l0 | Original post link

Additionally, during the process of fixing the old synchronization task, I tried restarting CDC and the downstream TiDB server, but it had no effect. Then I set gc_life_time to 48h, thinking of redoing it the next day.

| username: db_user | Original post link

The reason for not being able to create is because the GC time has passed. For example, if your original gc_life_time is set to 1 hour, after 1 hour it will have already passed. You can check by running select * from mysql.tidb where variable_name like '%gc%'; to see if tikv_gc_safe_point is before or after the start-ts. If it is after, you will encounter an error when starting the task.

You can refer to the following for the conversion between TSO and time:

SELECT TIDB_PARSE_TSO(@@tidb_current_ts);
SELECT conv(concat(bin(unix_timestamp('2022-01-06 12:30:59') * 1000),'000000000000000001'),2,10);

As for why the checkpoint is not moving, you will need to provide the relevant logs and monitoring for CDC, PD, TiKV, and TiDB to possibly determine the cause.

| username: tidb菜鸟一只 | Original post link

When you modified gc_life_time, the gc_safe_point that CDC stayed at should have already expired. Your earliest gc_safe_point now should be 440856954345881600, but CDC recorded 440847256865996803. The data lost in between cannot be recovered.

The question is that the gc_safe_point displayed in my system is at 20230417-10:33:45, which is still the moment it got stuck. In theory, if I convert this time point into TSO, it should be able to connect.

Shouldn’t CDC being stuck cause GC to be hung for 24 hours?

The image is not visible. Please provide the text you need translated.

| username: db_user | Original post link

For GC-related topics, you can check out these two articles:

I couldn’t figure out the reason, so I just redid the recovery.