TiDB Index Selection

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: tidb 索引选择

| username: 我是人间不清醒

[TiDB Usage Environment] Production Environment
[TiDB Version] 7.1.3
[Reproduction Path] Operations performed that led to the issue
[Encountered Issue: Using a single site with two centers, the master is replicated to the slave via ticdc. A slow query was found in the monitoring, and the explain analyze results on the master and slave showed significant differences in index selection.]
Master:

Slave:

The WHERE clause is as follows:

WHERE
  (
    district_id LIKE '130982207%'
    OR district_id = '130982501205'
  )
   AND p.area_id = '1309'
  AND p.birthday >= '2024-01-01'
  AND p.birthday <= '2024-01-31 23:59:59'

AND p.is_deleted != 1
  AND p.create_type_code = 2
  AND 1 = 1
ORDER BY
  p.entering_time DESC
LIMIT
  20 OFFSET 0;

How can I optimize this to ensure the master database hits the correct index?

| username: 小于同学 | Original post link

Could it be because your first condition p.birthday >= ‘2024-01-01’ is not standard? Try changing it to p.birthday >= ‘2024-01-01 00:00:00’.

| username: 我是人间不清醒 | Original post link

No, the data in the two centers is exactly the same. The index selection is different during execution. I just adjusted the SQL statement according to what you said, but there was no change.

| username: 啦啦啦啦啦 | Original post link

How about manually analyzing the involved tables?

Manually executed analyze table before execution.

How about creating an SQL execution plan binding?

| username: tidb菜鸟一只 | Original post link

Is the replica version the same as the primary version?
If not, add IGNORE_INDEX (p, index on area_id + entering_time field) or specify FORCE_INDEX (p, index on area_id + birthday field) on the primary.

It is effective, but the development side requires significant modifications. For master-slave data consistency, the configuration of the slave database should be lower. The slave database is mainly used for BI and reporting.

| username: redgame | Original post link

We have used FORCE_INDEX.

In fact, R&D testing does not need to change the SQL. You can refer to this and bind the execution plan at the database level.

I’ll give it a try, haven’t done it before. Does anyone have experience to share about binding execution plans? What should I be aware of, since this is for production and I’m being cautious?

We use it quite a lot here and haven’t encountered any issues. The bound execution plans can also be closed or deleted at any time. You can refer to the community usage cases at 专栏 - 使用SPM固定执行计划 | TiDB 社区.

Thank you, I am trying.

| username: kevinsong | Original post link

Update statistics. If it doesn’t work, rebuild the index.

| username: tidb菜鸟一只 | Original post link

If the versions are consistent, it is indeed difficult to determine where the problem lies. You can also use the method of binding execution plans.

Okay, I’ll try binding the execution plan first.

| username: 像风一样的男子 | Original post link

I have encountered a similar issue where the execution plans of the primary and replica are inconsistent. This is because the primary database was upgraded from a lower version, and index merge was not enabled by default.

| username: TiDBer_5cwU0ltE | Original post link

Try updating the statistics, it might solve the problem. Sometimes it’s really hard to understand how the optimizer makes its choices, let’s study it slowly.

| username: TiDBer_RjzUpGDL | Original post link

Execution plan binding

Thank you all, executing the binding plan resolved it.