[TiDBer Chat Session 64] As a DBA & Programmer, What Moment Made You Break Down the Most?

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 【TiDBer 唠嗑茶话会 64 】作为一名 DBA & 程序员,哪个瞬间最让你崩溃?

| username: TiDB社区小助手

It’s time for the weekly Friday chat session. This week’s chat session wants everyone to “vent their frustrations” :thinking: Let’s talk about the moments that made you, as a DBA & programmer, feel the most devastated. The inspiration comes from evangelist @ShawnYan who mentioned a devastating moment when a client accidentally deleted data and needed immediate recovery. I wonder which moments make you, as a DBA & programmer, feel the most devastated?

This week’s topic:

As a DBA & programmer, which moment made you feel the most devastated?

Event rewards:

Participation award:

Participate in this week’s chat session to receive 30 points reward~

Event time:

2023.3.24-2023.3.31

| username: Kongdom | Original post link

The client wants to use the previous optimization plan instead of the current one :sob:

| username: xingzhenxiang | Original post link

Everything went smoothly during testing, but there was an instant OOM in production. This was my first time using a TiDB cluster, version 3.1.0.

| username: tidb菜鸟一只 | Original post link

Accidentally truncated a business table without a backup, felt like I must have had a brain cramp at the time.

| username: waeng | Original post link

Does a CPU usage of over 1000% count?

| username: xfworld | Original post link

I said there would be problems doing it this way, but they wouldn’t listen and insisted on doing it.

Got woken up in the middle of the night by a phone call, asking for help to solve it… :sob:

| username: 半瓶醋仙 | Original post link

The client changed the requirements.

| username: 我是咖啡哥 | Original post link

Worked overtime during the New Year to finally develop the so-called urgent requirement, only to get a call from the business: the boss said not to deploy it. :sweat_smile:

| username: Jellybean | Original post link

On New Year’s Eve, while having the reunion dinner, I received an urgent call to handle an online issue.

| username: 众天-王先生 | Original post link

The problem cannot be solved.

| username: DBRE | Original post link

tidb-server OOM, crashed

| username: 裤衩儿飞上天 | Original post link

1-5 minutes before getting off work,
The developer says: We need to urgently deploy a feature, it hasn’t been tested, but the boss needs it urgently.
Inner thoughts: Not tested, going live…
Then we go live, and all sorts of problems start coming up. :imp:

| username: TiDBer_m6V1BalM | Original post link

A 20GB database suddenly disappeared after switching machines…

| username: wuxiangdong | Original post link

Let me take over a colleague’s work (who was laid off)… It would be better if I couldn’t handle his work myself…

| username: ealam_小羽 | Original post link

An urgent task at the company level was extremely urgent, and after working overtime to get it online, it was discovered that other partners hadn’t done their part, not even setting up the entry point. Overtime was a complete loss.

| username: Running | Original post link

As soon as there is a problem, it’s always the program’s fault, the database can’t support it.

| username: 索隆爱喝酒 | Original post link

The client suddenly requested a change in requirements just before the project was about to go live.