[TiDBer Chat Session 74] Let's Share Your TiDB Operations Memo - It's Time to Share Wisdom Again! Time to Copy Out Your Documents!

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 【TiDBer 唠嗑茶话会 74】一起来晒出你的 TiDB 运维备忘录吧~又一次共享智慧的时刻到了!你的文档该 copy 出来啦!

| username: TiDB社区小助手

I believe that everyone, when using TiDB, will have their own little memos or personal notes to remind themselves of important considerations and precautions during operation and usage. Today, I want to invite all TiDBers to share their TiDB operation memos and discuss the important considerations and reminders they have during usage.

This Topic:

Share your TiDB operation memos and personal notes!

Activity Rewards:

TiDBers who participate in this chat session can earn 30 points.

Activity Duration:

2023.6.16-2023.6.30

| username: 我是咖啡哥 | Original post link

Backup and restore not only depend on which machine you operate on but also require careful verification of the PD address!!!

A lesson learned the hard way: restoring the database on a test machine without changing the PD address resulted in overwriting the original database!! Luckily, it was a historical database, and the data didn’t change. The backup used was also the latest one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

| username: xfworld | Original post link

There is no TiDB maintenance memo :rofl:

Anyway, just one rule: remember to back up before any operation…

| username: 半瓶醋仙 | Original post link

Taking out a small notebook to start daily recording, the cover reads: Inspection Log.

| username: ShawnYan | Original post link

There are thousands of roads, but safety is the first priority.

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

First, design a good backup and recovery plan; backup is the most important aspect of operations and maintenance.
Secondly, conduct regular inspections to detect and address issues early.
Also, prepare emergency plans and create operational procedures for common issues that can be used immediately.

| username: 爱学习的TiDBer | Original post link

As long as there is a backup, there is nothing to worry about.

| username: ealam_小羽 | Original post link

Backup, switch back if there are any issues.

| username: zhimadi | Original post link

It’s best to find an additional person to do a second confirmation before executing a command.

| username: 秋季番Oo | Original post link

Make sure to back up and ensure the backup is usable!!!

Confirm whether there are conditions before executing DML operations!

When decommissioning an instance, ensure that the data on the instance is not in use!! :sweat_smile:

| username: danghuagood | Original post link

Official documentation is the best memo!

| username: Kongdom | Original post link

Operations have countless rules, but backup is the first one!!!

| username: 天蓝色的小九 | Original post link

There are thousands of paths, but backup is the first one.

| username: tomxu | Original post link

Safety first, production second.

| username: YuchongXU | Original post link

Inspection, backup, optimization.

| username: 裤衩儿飞上天 | Original post link

When you’re tired, especially when your mind is not clear, don’t perform any operations, even if you’ve written down the steps clearly one by one. Don’t ask me why; it’s all lessons learned the hard way…

| username: TiDBer_m6V1BalM | Original post link

Every Monday, I quietly open my operations log and start a busy day…