【TiDBer Chat Session 77】If You Had a Time Machine, Which Programming Era Would You Go Back to Experience?

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 【TiDBer 唠嗑茶话会 77 】如果你有一个时光机,你会回到过去的哪个编程时代体验一下?

| username: 社区小助手

The rise of programming is far more than just the past few years. From the 1950s to the 1970s, this period is considered the dawn of computer programming, with many exciting and historically significant events and milestones.

For example, programming in that era was done directly on machines using binary instructions, requiring a deep understanding of hardware architecture and instruction sets. Going back to that time, one could experience writing programs based on machine language or assembly language, feeling the essence of programming at its core.

Also, the 1960s and 1970s were the eras of COBOL and Fortran.
The late 1970s and early 1980s were the early personal computer era (such as Apple II, Commodore 64, etc.).

Today, I want to imagine with TiDBers, if there really was a time machine that could travel through time, which programming era would you want to go back to and experience?

This Topic:

If you had a time machine, which programming era would you go back to and experience? Why?

Activity Rewards:

Participation Award:

TiDBers who participate in the topic discussion will receive 30 points as a reward.

Activity Time:

2023.7.14 - 2023.7.21

| username: 我是咖啡哥 | Original post link

Assembly language. The kind that directly controls the hardware.

| username: redgame | Original post link

The COBOL era

| username: tidb菜鸟一只 | Original post link

In the past, it was assembly language.
Actually, I want to travel to the future to try out future programming methods.

| username: xfworld | Original post link

Fortran, I want to know what role Fortran played in mathematical deduction and computation at that time, and its impact on the future…

| username: Kongdom | Original post link

In the 80s, I wanted to do something else. :wink:

| username: tony5413 | Original post link

When I was in college, I wrote programs in assembly language, and it was quite exciting at the time. Now, I don’t want to go back to that.

| username: TiDBer_pFFcXLgY | Original post link

Assembly language

| username: TiDBer_m6V1BalM | Original post link

If I had a time machine, I wouldn’t bother learning about computers. I’d go back to find the most precious person I lost!!

| username: 啦啦啦啦啦 | Original post link

I should have studied Java well back in college and not become a DBA. Last night was another all-nighter.

| username: xfworld | Original post link

You can still learn it now, but working with Java might also mean staying up all night… :face_with_spiral_eyes: :face_with_spiral_eyes: :face_with_spiral_eyes: :rofl:

| username: 裤衩儿飞上天 | Original post link

The era of writing small viruses with VB during school days :smiling_imp:

| username: tidb菜鸟一只 | Original post link

Why do I feel like working with Java requires more all-nighters?

| username: tomxu | Original post link

Cherish the present moment. There’s no going back. Face the present and look to the future.

| username: breakyang | Original post link

Back to the era of Little Tyrant

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

It’s not as good as the era of machine code input with punched tape.

| username: Jellybean | Original post link

Assembly era

| username: 边城元元 | Original post link

Face the present

| username: Hacker007 | Original post link

At least go back 19 years, it wasn’t this competitive.