[TiDBer Chat Session 94] Comparison Before and After Upgrade: Have You Recently Upgraded Your Cluster? What Changes Have You Noticed Post-Upgrade?

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 【TiDBer 唠嗑茶话会 94】升级前升级后的对比:你最近做过集群升级吗?升级后有哪些体感变化呢?

| username: TiDB社区小助手

This Topic:

Have you recently upgraded TiDB? How does it feel after the upgrade? What aspects do you consider when upgrading to a new version?

Activity Rewards:

Participation Award

Participate in this discussion to receive 30 points reward.

Activity Time:

2023.11.17 - 2023.11.24

The Chat Tea Party is about to reach 100 sessions!

In the 101st session, we will select the top participants to receive our Ti Badge + mystery merchandise.

Latest Upgrade Guide Reference

| username: Kongdom | Original post link

After the upgrade and adding indexes, it became much faster. The main consideration is stability. :thinking:

| username: ShawnYan | Original post link

Stability, always stability.

| username: zhimadi | Original post link

Upgrading from 4.x to 5.x, I felt that the performance improved and resource usage decreased. The primary consideration is maximum stability, followed by performance enhancement.

| username: TiDBer_小阿飞 | Original post link

This is obviously unfair. Everyone has been exposed to TiDB for different amounts of time. The veterans and experts have been using it for years, while the newcomers haven’t even taken the exams yet, but that doesn’t stop them from showing off in the forum. :joy: :rofl:

I haven’t done an upgrade, but I’ve read a lot on the forum. Here are a few upgrade methods summarized:

• Rolling upgrade
  • Smooth upgrade
  • Creating a new cluster and importing data

Basically, you choose the upgrade method based on the specific situation of your production environment. As for the motivation to upgrade, it’s obviously the new features and bug fixes provided by the new version.

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

All are test environments, following the latest official version upgrades, starting from 6.5.2, then upgrading to 7.1.0, and now it’s 7.1.2. Apart from the 7.1 version supporting foreign keys, I haven’t noticed much change.

| username: 啦啦啦啦啦 | Original post link

A few months ago, we upgraded from 3.0 to 6.1, and there has been a significant improvement in usability and stability.

| username: Hacker007 | Original post link

No, I don’t have the courage. I don’t want to stay up all night and get scolded.

| username: xingzhenxiang | Original post link

After the upgrade, many parameters inexplicably appeared.

| username: Fly-bird | Original post link

Upgrading from 5.4 to 6.0, I feel the performance has improved.

| username: 像风一样的男子 | Original post link

I also upgraded from 4.0 to 5.4, and the performance improved. It’s stable to use, and there’s no need for an upgrade at the moment.

| username: waeng | Original post link

Upgrading from 3.X to 6.5 has become much more stable.

| username: TiDBer_LM | Original post link

If it’s not necessary, don’t touch it.

| username: onlyacat | Original post link

Old applications are already using the old version, so we won’t upgrade unless necessary.
New applications will use the new version.

| username: TiDBer_CQ | Original post link

I will choose to upgrade when there are new capabilities and features that support my scenario.

| username: forever | Original post link

The test environment has been upgraded. Upgrade to the latest version if available.

The ultimate philosophy of operations is to avoid making changes if possible. It becomes problematic when it gets DevOps-ified later.