[TiDBer Tea Talk 73] Slip-ups: My Moments of Clumsiness at Work!

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 【TiDBer 唠嗑茶话会 73】失手操作:我在职场的手滑瞬间!

| username: TiDB社区小助手

I wonder if any TiDBers have experienced moments of sudden slip-ups during their transformation from a workplace newbie to a seasoned professional? In the moderator group, a moderator once shared their slip-up moment: they accidentally wrote a shutdown command for the test machine, which gave them a fright. Have any of you TiDBers experienced such moments? Today, let’s share our slip-up stories and enjoy everyone’s amusing operations together. :face_with_peeking_eye:

This Topic:

Have any TiDBers experienced sudden slip-up moments in the workplace?

Participation Rewards:

Participation Award:

TiDBers who participate in this topic discussion can receive 30 points as a reward.

Event Duration:

2023.6.9 - 2023.6.16

| username: 秋季番Oo | Original post link

After decommissioning the MySQL instance on the cloud platform, it was only discovered three weeks later that there was still online user data in the instance :rofl:

In the end, some user data was recovered using log files.

| username: xfworld | Original post link

Accidentally deleted the data, luckily it was just UAT… :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face:

A blessing in disguise…

| username: redgame | Original post link

Performed recovery on the master-slave setup, overwriting the master database, no luck.

| username: 裤衩儿飞上天 | Original post link

A partition of a partitioned table was deleted in production…

| username: 爱学习的TiDBer | Original post link

Without a backup, I directly deleted the configuration. Fortunately, there is a flashback feature.

| username: tony5413 | Original post link

For over ten years, there hasn’t been any. In the production environment, the implementation steps are prepared in advance. In the testing environment, there’s no such moment either. A slip of the hand would just mean writing the command incorrectly, resulting in a syntax error.

| username: TiDBer_m6V1BalM | Original post link

The moment I slipped and realized the command was typed incorrectly and didn’t execute successfully, I felt instantly relieved.

| username: Kongdom | Original post link

:rofl: The craziest thing I’ve ever done is writing a delete statement without adding a where condition. Fortunately, it was executed on the test database.

| username: 春风十里 | Original post link

I accidentally right-clicked and pasted “shutdown,” which ended up shutting down a production server. After that, I never set up right-click paste again.

| username: 数据小黑 | Original post link

I accidentally executed the file deletion command, but fortunately, HDFS deletion is slow. I managed to press ctrl+c before the service responded.

| username: ShawnYan | Original post link

rm -rf {path}/, the result is that the path value was not obtained.

| username: itfarmer | Original post link

No big deal :face_with_peeking_eye:

| username: DBRE | Original post link

While chatting with someone, I deleted the ibd file.

| username: TiDBer_pFFcXLgY | Original post link

Remove - force

| username: wzf0072 | Original post link

I just finished identifying the issue causing the abnormal growth of the log database space. While deleting the tables created during the verification process, I accidentally deleted a business table (SQL Server). Fortunately, it was just an internal log.

| username: 霸王龙的日常 | Original post link

9 years ago, I updated data on DB2 without adding conditions, and ended up updating personal medical insurance data. The good thing was that there was a backup test database, so it was quickly restored. Since then, I have been very cautious with every operation and have basically never made such a mistake again.