Unable to Connect to TiDB on Local Area Network

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: TiDB局域网无法连接

| username: wangccsy

To improve efficiency, please provide the following information. A clear problem description will help resolve the issue faster:

[Overview] I installed TiDB 7.5.0 on a virtual machine and it started successfully, as shown in the image:

I used VMWare’s NAT port mapping to map port 4000 to the host, as shown in the image:

I can telnet to port 4000 on the host, but I can’t connect using MySQL WorkBench. Why?

[Application Framework and Development Adaptation Business Logic]

[Background] Connecting using the mysql command within the virtual machine works fine.

[Phenomenon]

[Problem] Unable to connect from outside the virtual machine.

[Business Impact]

[TiDB Version]

[Attachments] Relevant logs and monitoring

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

Install a mysql-client in the virtual machine and try connecting using the command line first.

| username: wangccsy | Original post link

A virtual machine can definitely connect. I mentioned in the “[Background] Using the mysql command in the virtual machine connects normally.”

| username: Kongdom | Original post link

:thinking: Is it possible that the cluster IP cannot use 127.0.0.1 and must use the assigned IP?

I use a virtual machine, so it’s 127.0.0.1. You can connect using other IPs.

| username: forever | Original post link

Can you try connecting using the physical machine’s IP?

Connecting to the NAT address of the virtual machine on the physical machine

There is no problem with the NAT forwarding configuration. By the way, have you checked if the firewall is turned off?

| username: 像风一样的男子 | Original post link

When installing the database, you shouldn’t set the configuration file to 127.0.0.1; it should be the 192 IP address. Ports listening on 127.0.0.1 can only be accessed by the local server.

Actually, it doesn’t matter. All IPs of the virtual machine can be accessed using port 4000, which is unrelated to the deployment.

| username: 连连看db | Original post link

In NAT mode, port forwarding works fine. However, if using bridge mode, you can’t use 127.0.0.1; you need a specific IP to access it.

I can ping the virtual machine IP, but cannot telnet to port 4000. It seems to be an issue with listening on 127.0.0.1, right?

The firewall is turned off. I can ping, but I can’t telnet. Could it be related to the basic service I created using tiup playground? I didn’t create a cluster. I’m a beginner, still learning.

There is no need for tiup playground, just build the minimal setup directly TiDB Quick Start Guide | PingCAP Documentation Center

This minimal setup requires a virtual machine with more than 10GB of memory. If you want a smaller setup, configure only one tikv in the parameter file.

There is no such high configuration hardware (virtual machine).

| username: 春风十里 | Original post link

Normally, 127.0.0.1 is a local loopback address and cannot provide external services. You can try using a virtual NAT method to relay services. For local single-machine deployment, generally, a memory exceeding 10G is sufficient. You can use an IP address configuration for local single-machine deployment, which makes it easier to provide external services without having to study virtual machine network issues.

| username: TIDB-Learner | Original post link

It should be for this reason. If the topology deployment file specifies 127.0.0.1, it cannot be accessed from non-local machines.

| username: Jellybean | Original post link

Try configuring with the local IP address and see if it resolves the issue.

| username: TIDB-Learner | Original post link

An idea to get the network working

The key issue is that I couldn’t find the configuration file to modify the IP address. Is this still MySQL, because there is no my.cnf configuration file?