Unable to start after installation, error message: v7.2.0/tikv-server: no such file or directory

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 安装后无法启动,提示v7.2.0/tikv-server: no such file or directory

| username: TiDBer_RZvVcYsc

[TiDB Usage Environment] Production Environment / Testing / PoC
[TiDB Version] v7.2.0
[Reproduction Path]

First time experiencing TiDB, I followed the “Deploy Local Test Cluster” example in the above link and executed the following commands on Linux:

1. curl --proto ‘=https’ --tlsv1.2 -sSf https://tiup-mirrors.pingcap.com/install.sh | sh
  2. source /root/.bash_profile
  3. tiup playground

When executing the last command, an error occurred:

[root@VM-0-7-centos ~]# tiup playground
tiup is checking updates for component playground …
Starting component playground: /root/.tiup/components/playground/v1.12.5/tiup-playground
Using the version v7.2.0 for version constraint “”.

If you’d like to use a TiDB version other than v7.2.0, cancel and retry with the following arguments:
Specify version manually: tiup playground
Specify version range: tiup playground ^5
The nightly version: tiup playground nightly

Start pd instance:v7.2.0
Start tikv instance:v7.2.0
Force pd(17817) to quit…
pd quit
Error: Playground bootstrapping failed: fork/exec /root/.tiup/components/tikv/v7.2.0/tikv-server: no such file or directory

[Encountered Problem: Problem Phenomenon and Impact]
[Resource Configuration] Enter TiDB Dashboard - Cluster Info - Hosts and take a screenshot of this page
[Attachments: Screenshots/Logs/Monitoring]

Please help, experts.

| username: tidb菜鸟一只 | Original post link

How are the resources of the virtual machine? Does it feel like there are insufficient resources?

| username: TiDBer_RZvVcYsc | Original post link

Installed on Alibaba Cloud ECS

Looking at the system logs, it seems that PD didn’t even start up and just exited directly.

| username: ShawnYan | Original post link

Welcome to the AskTUG community. Normally, there shouldn’t be any issues. Have you tried it several times and still encountered the same problem?

I retried on my local virtual machine (4 cores, 16GB), and it can start normally. The ECS configuration is 4 cores, 8GB. Could it be that the configuration does not meet the requirements and therefore cannot start? If it is due to configuration reasons, is it possible to optimize it further for minimal installation? This is for our testing and experience, not a production environment.

Theoretically, 4C8G should be able to start the playground. What is the operating system on the ECS?

CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core)

This system is fine… Try changing your local configuration to 4 cores and 8GB, and see if it can start up. Could it be that the 7.2 playground is consuming more resources?

Setting the virtual machine to 4 cores and 8GB can start without any issues.
The screenshot below shows the resource usage of my ECS. What are the common reasons that could cause it to fail to start? If I need to check the logs, how should I do it? Please provide some guidance, thank you!

| username: xfworld | Original post link

When using tiup playground to start a TiDB cluster, you can view the cluster logs with the following command:

tiup playground display

This command will display information such as the process ID, role, and runtime of each component in the TiDB cluster. The process ID of each component can be used to locate the log files for that component.

For example, the log file for the TiDB component is by default stored in ~/.tiup/data/playground-v5.4.0/tidb-4000/log/tidb.log, where v5.4.0 is the TiDB version number and 4000 is the default port number for TiDB. You can view the TiDB log with the following command:

tail -f ~/.tiup/data/playground-v5.4.0/tidb-4000/log/tidb.log

This command will display the TiDB log output in real-time, making it convenient to check the running status and error information of TiDB.

For logs of other components, you can locate the corresponding log files based on the process ID and component type. For example, the log file for TiKV is by default stored in ~/.tiup/data/playground-v5.4.0/tikv-20160/log/tikv.log, where 20160 is the default port number for TiKV. You can view the TiKV log with the following command:

tail -f ~/.tiup/data/playground-v5.4.0/tikv-20160/log/tikv.log

It is important to note that the log files of the TiDB cluster can be quite large, so regular cleaning or backup is necessary to avoid occupying too much storage space. Additionally, the log files of the TiDB cluster may contain sensitive information such as usernames and passwords, so they need to be properly protected.

| username: TiDBer_嘎嘣脆 | Original post link

Is it possible to try merging the TiUP mirror offline?

It can be started now, thank you all!
After stopping other applications on the ECS and reinstalling, it worked.

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

It seems like there isn’t enough memory. Please check again.

You can add --tiflash 0 to disable the TiFlash component,
and you can also add --without-monitor to disable monitoring,
for a minimal resource experience with TiDB.

| username: redgame | Original post link

I see that it started up in the end.

I encountered another problem:
After the service starts, the default access IPs for TiDB, Dashboard, and Grafana are all 127.0.0.1. How can I configure it so that they can be accessed through the local machine IP? For example: 192.168.1.100

When starting, specify

--host 192.168.1.100

For more information, you can refer to

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

In theory, it can be accessed without configuration.

| username: system | Original post link

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.