Upgrading PD Service from 5.2.1 to 7.1.5

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 5.2.1 pd 服务升级至7.1.5

| username: TiDBer_mHZrDnWq

[TiDB Usage Environment] Production Environment
[TiDB Version] 5.2.1
[Reproduction Path] Deployment environment is pd+tikv, 3 nodes. Used as a KV storage scenario. Running in docker run mode, not using docker-compose, tiup, or k8s.
[Encountered Problem: Problem Phenomenon and Impact]
Currently, I want to upgrade to version 7.1.5. The method adopted is to destroy one node and restart it with the v7.1.5 version image mounted with the original configuration and data. A goroutine error occurs, and the container cannot run.
[Resource Configuration] Go to TiDB Dashboard - Cluster Info - Hosts and take a screenshot of this page
[Attachments: Screenshots/Logs/Monitoring]

| username: TIDB-Learner | Original post link

I don’t understand this upgrade method.

| username: TiDBer_mHZrDnWq | Original post link

Just directly replaced the image, and after adding privileges, the upgrade was successful.

| username: ffeenn | Original post link

Isn’t it difficult to manage Docker run? Why not deploy it directly on the server?

| username: xfworld | Original post link

It’s equivalent to manual scaling… And it’s cross-version, which is too difficult.

| username: zhaokede | Original post link

I have only used the standard deployment method for TiDB, PD, and TiKV, and the upgrades were also done one major version at a time. I haven’t tried the method mentioned by the original poster.

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

The data is different in different versions, it needs to be updated.

| username: YuchongXU | Original post link

It should not be possible.

| username: ziptoam | Original post link

It is recommended to use TIUP for the upgrade as it will be more convenient.

| username: 友利奈绪 | Original post link

I haven’t used this method to upgrade. Can any experts point out the issues?