Are TiDB raft logs and TiDB WAL logs the same thing? Also, does TiCDC read raft logs?

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 请问tidb raft log和tidb的wal日志是一回事吗?再就是ticdc读取的是raft日志吗?

| username: liuwenhe

【TiDB Usage Environment】Production
【TiDB Version】
【Encountered Problem】
【Reproduction Path】What operations were performed to cause the problem
【Problem Phenomenon and Impact】

| username: ddhe9527 | Original post link

WAL is an important means to ensure transaction durability, equivalent to the redo log in Oracle/MySQL. Write operations of a transaction are first persisted to the WAL, and then dirty data is asynchronously flushed to the disk. If the database crashes unexpectedly, the WAL can be used to recover the data.

Raft log is the log used for data replication in the Raft consensus protocol, and it is a means to ensure consistency in the CAP theorem. When a transaction initiates a commit on the leader replica, the write operation of the transaction is encapsulated into a Raft log entry, which is then replicated to the majority of nodes. After being appended and applied, the commit operation can successfully return.

TiCDC reads the KV change log directly from TiKV, not the Raft log.

| username: Raymond | Original post link

Raft log is used for data synchronization between different instances of TiKV. To use an inappropriate analogy, it’s like MySQL’s binlog for master-slave synchronization, while the WAL log is a feature of TiKV’s storage engine RocksDB, similar to MySQL’s redo log.

| username: liuwenhe | Original post link

Thank you very much, the additional answer solved my confusion. However, I would like to ask, is the kv change log a third log independent of the wal log and raft log?

Thank you for your answer, your addition resolved my confusion.

In a question, the RocksDB Raft instance also needs WAL logs for protection when writing the Raft log, right?

Yes, data is written to the WAL when it is written to the memtable.

| username: cs58_dba | Original post link

For reference, you can study the PCTP video courses.

When writing raft logs to a RocksDB instance, is the memtable written to?

I’m ashamed. I took the PCTP exam last year, but this New Year, my workplace has TiDB, and I realized I’ve forgotten everything. Looks like I need to study it all over again.

Memtable is a component of RocksDB.

Yes, it’s still important to apply what you’ve learned, otherwise it’s easy to forget.

| username: TiDBer_jYQINSnf | Original post link

TiKV’s underlying structure is divided into two RocksDB instances, one for storing Raft logs and the other for storing data. The Raft log ensures data consistency among the three TiKV instances when data is written to TiKV. This log is recorded by the Raft protocol and eventually lands in RocksDB, where it is stored as a regular key-value pair.

Now, let’s talk about WAL (Write-Ahead Logging). When RocksDB writes data, it first writes to the memtable, which is an in-memory table. If the data were only written to memory and then returned, it wouldn’t be considered persistent. Therefore, a WAL is written, which appends the log directly to a file, effectively performing sequential writes. Sequential writes to disk are relatively fast.

Each TiKV has two RocksDB instances, one for storing raft logs and one for storing actual data, specifically: RocksDB raft and RocksDB db. When writing to the RocksDB db instance, it first writes to the WAL and then to the memtable. My question is, when writing raft logs to the RocksDB raft instance, does it also first write to the WAL and then to the memtable? It should be like this, right?

Classic, similar to MySQL’s two-phase commit.

When RocksDB writes a key/value, it first writes to the WAL and then to the memtable. RocksDB-Raft is simply using a regular RocksDB to store Raft data, so there is no difference.

The key-value pairs written by the user are first written to the WAL (Write Ahead Log) on the disk, which can also be understood as KV change logs. Once a synchronization task is created, the TiCDC cluster will pull these row changed events.
I saw this in an article. Is this correct? Is wal the same as kv change logs?

TiCDC does not read WAL; WAL is a component of the RocksDB layer.

Is the kv change log a third type of log independent of the wal log and raft log? I’m about to set up ticdc recently, so I want to understand what the kv change log is and what its write mechanism is.

I don’t understand what kv change log is. I guess it should be the log organized from the raft layer.