Change tidb auto_increment to auto_random

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: tidb auto_increment 改为auto_random

| username: Raymond

May I ask if changing the table field in TiDB from auto_increment to auto_random cannot be done directly using the alter table command and requires recreating the table?

| username: ddhe9527 | Original post link

It is not supported to use ALTER TABLE to modify the AUTO_RANDOM attribute, including adding or removing this attribute.

So you can only rebuild the table.

| username: cs58_dba | Original post link

Recently, I studied the PCTP video. For primary keys that are not of type int or bigint, you can use SHARD_ROW_ID_BITS and PRE_SPLIT_REGIONS to distribute the insert write hotspot. For primary keys of type bigint, you can use AUTO_RANDOM to distribute the insert write hotspot.

| username: TiDBer_wTKU9jv6 | Original post link

You can change it, you need to set tidb_allow_remove_auto_inc.

| username: 啦啦啦啦啦 | Original post link

The field type of auto_increment is what? If it is int, you can first alter the table to change it to bigint, then allow the removal of auto_increment through the variable tidb_allow_remove_auto_inc. Finally, you can set auto_random through alter table.

The official documentation clearly states that using ALTER TABLE to modify the AUTO_RANDOM attribute, including adding or removing this attribute, is not supported. There might be an error in the documentation here, but it is also not recommended to change auto_increment to auto_random because if there are values in the table, it is equivalent to explicit assignment, which may cause the table to prematurely exhaust the values used for automatic allocation. If the business is already online, it is recommended to scatter hotspots through SHARD_ROW_ID_BITS and PRE_SPLIT_REGIONS. If it is not yet online, it is recommended to rebuild the table and import the data.

| username: Raymond | Original post link

Okay, thank you for the reply.

Got it, thanks for the reply.

| username: 西伯利亚狼 | Original post link

:+1: Yes, it can be changed.

| username: cs58_dba | Original post link

I tried it, and it works without specifying a clustered index. Learned something new.

Indeed, after consulting the official documentation, directly changing from auto_increment to auto_random may cause anomalies. Thank you for your response.

| username: xiaohetao | Original post link

:+1: I haven’t done much of this before, but I just tested it and it indeed works. I also learned about the tidb_allow_remove_auto_inc parameter.

| username: ddhe9527 | Original post link

It seems that we can’t fully trust the official documentation; we still need to verify it ourselves. :grimacing:

| username: system | Original post link

This topic was automatically closed 1 minute after the last reply. No new replies are allowed.