Cluster update failed with check dist task failed, tidb_enable_dist_task is enabled

After offline updating 7.5.0 to 8.1.0 i’ve got

[bootstrap.go:1351] ["check dist task failed, tidb_enable_dist_task is enabled"] [] [stack="github.com/pingcap/tidb/pkg/session.checkDistTask\n\t/workspace/source/tidb/pkg/session/bootstrap.go:1351\ngithub.com/pingcap/tidb/pkg/session.upgrade\n\t/workspace/source/tidb/pkg/session/bootstrap.go:1386\ngithub.com/pingcap/tidb/pkg/session.runInBootstrapSession\n\t/workspace/source/tidb/pkg/session/session.go:3520\ngithub.com/pingcap/tidb/pkg/session.bootstrapSessionImpl\n\t/workspace/source/tidb/pkg/session/session.go:3297\ngithub.com/pingcap/tidb/pkg/session.BootstrapSession\n\t/workspace/source/tidb/pkg/session/session.go:3261\nmain.createStoreAndDomain\n\t/workspace/source/tidb/cmd/tidb-server/main.go:420\nmain.main\n\t/workspace/source/tidb/cmd/tidb-server/main.go:326\nruntime.main\n\t/usr/local/go/src/runtime/proc.go:267"]

I haven’t found a way to set tidb_enable_dist_task with dead sql server, so I’ve stuck with dead cluster

It is clear that you should set tidb_enable_dist_task to OFF . Using the mysql command line:

SET GLOBAL tidb_enable_dist_task = OFF;

You should keep at least one TIDB-server alive . If all of the TIDB-servers are dead , you could download the oldversion TIDB-server binary to start new one connect to the TikV/PD cluster .