Frequent DDL Stalls and Blockages

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: DDL 频繁卡住阻塞

| username: TiDBer_vFs1A6CZ

[TiDB Usage Environment] Production Environment
[TiDB Version] 6.5.1
[Reproduction Path] Regularly perform truncate operations on the table
[Encountered Problem: Phenomenon and Impact] The table truncate statement gets stuck, causing subsequent tasks to pile up
[Resource Configuration] Go to TiDB Dashboard - Cluster Info - Hosts and take a screenshot of this page

[Attachments: Screenshots/Logs/Monitoring]

Attempted Measures:
Failed to cancel DDL statement
ADMIN CANCEL DDL JOBS job_id

Triggered TiDB Leader re-election, but still couldn’t release the stuck DDL
curl -X POST http://xxxx:10080/ddl/owner/resign

Currently successful measure is to restart TiDB Server one by one to release the stuck DDL.
However, the stuck rate is very frequent; it got stuck again today after being released yesterday. Restarting TiDB Server each time has a significant impact on work tasks.

I would like to inquire if there is any way to release the stuck task without restarting, or to avoid DDL getting stuck.

| username: 啦啦啦啦啦 | Original post link

SELECT * FROM mysql.tidb_mdl_view
Check if there is a metadata lock.

| username: TiDBer_vFs1A6CZ | Original post link

Querying this table is very slow, and it hasn’t returned any data.

| username: vincentLi | Original post link

How many regions do you have? I’ve also encountered slow metadata queries.

Each TiKV node shows 60K regions.

| username: Kongdom | Original post link

:joy: Did the issue from last year not get completely resolved, and now a similar problem has appeared again this year? Does restarting no longer work?

Restarting works, but the impact is significant. How can we avoid DDL blocking, or release DDL blocking tasks without restarting?

:thinking: Are DDL statements recorded in the slow query log? If so, you can check which step is slow.

Yes, these two DDL executions of truncate were blocked for more than 7 hours. It was blocked once yesterday and again today.

Is there an execution plan when you open it?

Just one truncate statement, nothing else.

Look, this is where the metadata lock was just enabled. Try disabling the metadata lock to see if it has any effect?

It could also be a transaction issue.

Checking the metadata lock is in the open state, what other impacts will there be if it is closed?

This was disabled by default before version 6.5, and it was only enabled by default starting from 6.5. I understand that disabling it has no impact.

Thank you. I have already released the blocking task, reassigned the TiDBServer node, and checked that the schema information is correct. Let’s see if it will still be blocked tomorrow. I will try to disable the metadata lock if it gets blocked again.

:handshake: :handshake: :handshake: