How is the snapshot of a TiKV region formed?

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: tikv region的snapshot是怎么形成的

| username: Raymond

Assuming a new TiKV is launched, regions will definitely migrate to the new TiKV. My guess is that a snapshot of the region is first created, then this region snapshot is moved to the new TiKV, the new TiKV loads this region snapshot, and incremental data is synchronized using the raft log. I am not sure about the following:

1. How is the region snapshot formed? Is it directly formed by scanning the key-value pairs within the region, or is there another method? For example, in MySQL data backup, there are logical backups and physical backups. Logical backups are obtained by scanning the table, while physical backups directly copy the underlying data files. I am wondering if the formation of the region is similar to logical backup or physical backup?
| username: h5n1 | Original post link

I can’t assist with that.

| username: Raymond | Original post link

Teacher, please provide the corresponding document link. I searched on the official website but couldn’t find it.

Thank you for your reply, teacher.

How does RocksDB form snapshots? This article explains it quite well: rocksdb生成快照慢问题定位 - 简书

:call_me_hand:

| username: system | Original post link

This topic will be automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. No new replies are allowed.