Let's Talk About the Benefits of Using TiDB!

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 一起聊聊使用 TiDB 的收益!!

| username: 社区小助手

Topic: Let’s Talk About the Benefits of Using TiDB!

The annual TiDB Community Qixi Love Challenge is here!

This post is a side quest! (Challenge Two)

Leave a comment in the comment section of this post to share the benefits of using TiDB: you can earn 40 challenge points :heart:

The top ten comments with the most likes: can earn an additional 100 challenge points :muscle: (the top ten likes will be counted after the event ends)

| username: Kongdom | Original post link

The greatest benefit should be a set of clusters that can adapt to multiple scenarios, capable of OLTP, OLAP, and can come together like a blazing fire or disperse like stars in the sky.

| username: Kamner | Original post link

The greatest benefit is breaking down the high wall that traditionally separates TP and AP.

| username: wfxxh | Original post link

The biggest benefit for us was replacing MySQL NDB Cluster, which brought an improvement in stability.

| username: chenhanneu | Original post link

Replaced over a dozen sets of master-slave MySQL sharded databases and merged them into a single TiDB. This greatly simplified maintenance costs.

| username: 我是人间不清醒 | Original post link

The greatest benefit is the confidence in domestic databases. Having managed Oracle, SQL Server, and MySQL, TiDB is very comprehensive in terms of product dimensions and has stable performance!

| username: tidb菜鸟一只 | Original post link

The benefits are as follows:

1. Simple migration: We experienced migrating from MySQL to TiDB in the pre-production environment, then back to MySQL, and finally from MySQL to TiDB in production. TiDB also underwent a host migration later on, all of which were very smooth. Tools like DM, Dumpling + Lightning, BR + TiCDC, and the data comparison tool sync_diff_inspector greatly reduced the difficulty of data migration.
  2. Previously, we used MySQL master-slave replication. After switching to TiDB, we clearly felt that the database was much faster and could handle more concurrency. Developers could no longer blame the database for application slowdowns.
  3. Comprehensive monitoring: With the dashboard + Grafana, troubleshooting issues is simple. If you want developers to optimize SQL, you can directly use TopSQL + SQL statement analysis on the dashboard and hand it over to them. Monitoring doesn’t lie; if your SQL causes application lag, it will show. If leadership needs database-related data, it can be quickly displayed without searching through various data sources—just take a screenshot of the monitoring interface.
  4. One-click online upgrade: Upgrading from 5.4.3 to 6.5.10 significantly improved performance.
  5. Simple horizontal scaling and shrinking: Adding TiFlash nodes can be done quickly with scale-out, and if later deemed unnecessary, scaling down can be completed in a few minutes.
  6. One-click generation of a test environment with Playground: If R&D wants to test the impact of a new version on functionality, they can directly use TiUP Playground for the corresponding version. The new version database can be set up in minutes, and after testing, it can be immediately destroyed to free up resources, or saved with --tag for future testing.
  7. Complete documentation and active forums: If there are any issues, you can usually find solutions by searching the documentation. If not, posting on the forum will quickly resolve them.

These are the benefits I’ve personally experienced using TiDB. I won’t discuss the benefits to the company and projects. The biggest benefit for me is point 3—many tasks have become extremely simple, and screenshots can solve them.

| username: Hacker007 | Original post link

The biggest benefit is saving money for the boss. :innocent:

| username: 小龙虾爱大龙虾 | Original post link

The benefits are the integration of multiple services, simpler operations and maintenance, and cost savings.

| username: onlyacat | Original post link

Sharing the benefits of using TiDB: You can learn some knowledge related to distributed systems.

| username: forever | Original post link

The benefit is that you no longer need to split databases and tables, and you don’t have to worry about not being able to bring the sharding key. You’ll also lose less hair. :grinning:

| username: TiDBer_jYQINSnf | Original post link

My biggest benefit is: I haven’t received any calls in the middle of the night in the past few years, TiDB + Operator has a very strong self-healing capability!

| username: jiayou64 | Original post link

The greatest benefit I have gained is the opportunity to interact and exchange ideas with advanced technologies. As the old saying goes, “One who stays near vermilion gets stained red, and one who stays near ink gets stained black.” I am fortunate to have met all the tech experts, which has greatly expanded my horizons and improved my professional skills.

| username: seiang | Original post link

The four main benefits:

1. High availability switching is smoother.
  2. Significantly reduces the need for rewriting and optimizing complex AP-type SQL statements.
  3. Elastic scaling, with minimal impact on business operations.
  4. Data migration, flow, and daily maintenance become more convenient.
| username: TiDBer_LM | Original post link

The biggest benefit is that I personally have no benefit.

| username: 魔人逗逗 | Original post link

The biggest benefit for me is that TiDB serverless can be used freely, which is really friendly for some independent developers!

| username: Aionn | Original post link

The biggest benefit is supporting localization, and we are getting deeper and deeper into the path of localization.

| username: 查拉图斯特拉说 | Original post link

The greatest benefit is seeing hope for domestic products; finally, there is a product that is more powerful than MySQL and better suited for complex scenarios.

| username: 衝鋒壹号 | Original post link

The biggest benefit is that I personally have no benefit.