My Year with TiDB: A Personal Journey

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: 这一年,我和 TiDB 的故事

| username: 阿福Chris

When I first wrote this article, it coincided with the last day of the TiDB essay contest. At that time, I happened to see a message from my cousin in the group, and since I had some free time, I decided to reflect on the past year’s experiences. I received many blessings from people back then, and I want to start by thanking everyone who reads my article. It’s an honor to have you come across my writing.

Of course, the essay contest has ended, but the story of the TiDB community continues. This updated post is also a second summary for myself. After completing the article, I participated in several offline Meetups and Paper Reading activities organized by the community, which were very beneficial for my personal growth. I also met many like-minded friends. I hope everyone interested will actively participate.

2021 Dev Conf - Where the Story Begins

To borrow a refined phrase, the 2021 Dev Conf is where the story begins. Last year, by a twist of fate, I attended the TiDB Dev Conf with a friend. Back then, COVID-19 wasn’t yet called Omicron, and many people naively thought it would end after the summer of 2021. But I digress. On July 24, 2021, I took the high-speed train to the Dev Conf venue, holding a “Strive to be a Contributor” sign, pretending to be an SQL BOY. Unfortunately, a year has passed, and I still haven’t become a Contributor, despite the efforts of the community organizers. The theme of this conference was: Open x Connect x Meet, and it truly lived up to this theme, opening my eyes to many new things.

So Many People!

There were many attendees at the event, far exceeding expectations according to the organizers. The event team had to temporarily add more lunch boxes at noon. Just look at the check-in and the venue; during Huang’s keynote speech, all you could see was a sea of heads, but fortunately, everyone had hair.

It’s rare to see so many people at a database technology conference. TiDB, as a proud domestic database, clearly has a strong appeal to developers, DBAs, and partners.

What Kind of Magical Community is the TiDB Community?

After breakfast, lunch, and dinner, what were you all doing?

I was looking at Digital China’s Mini TiDB Cluster:

image.png

(A handy tool for on-site customer demonstrations)

This Mini TiDB cluster was a real machine environment displayed by Digital China at the event, consisting of three mini computers and a small switch. It was eye-opening to see a database being used this way. According to the on-site instructor, they bring this mini cluster to customer sites for TiDB product demonstrations, simulating most of TiDB’s functions.

I was looking at the Lego TiDB Cluster assembled by PingCAP engineers:

(It really processes data)

This Lego set was undoubtedly the most eye-catching exhibit in the hall, surrounded by many people taking photos. This TiDB cluster uses small balls to represent flowing data and integrates Kafka. The TiDB cluster operates continuously, just like a high-performance and high-availability TiDB production cluster.

I was watching “SQL BOY” do a TiDB Demo Hack:

(The hand sanitizer on the table, I still haven’t thrown it away. Today, I received a badge from the official team, a sign of fate)

I signed up for the demo group hosted by Huang himself. This founder, who calls himself SQL Boy and wears a ponytail, was very approachable. He guided us in generating a TiDB cluster with one click and completing a simple CRUD project “Reminders.”

There were many more fun and interesting things. The two-day conference introduced various TiDB features and future plans. In the evening, there was a roast session, where they openly accepted criticism from the community, showing great sincerity.

Can someone tell me, what kind of magical community is the TiDB community? They are so good at having fun!

My Learning Journey

After a smooth second half of 2021, Omicron hit at the end of the year, and the first half of 2022 was spent working from home. Well, since I was home, I decided to dive into TiDB. It also served as a preparation for my journey to becoming a Contributor.

(TiDB Certification Registration Introduction)

My TiDB learning journey started with the PCTA exam. One day in early March, a TiDB community member sent me an exam recommendation, so I began studying the video courses and preparing for the PCTA exam. The PCTA exam content is entry-level; as long as you watch the recommended videos and review the key points, you will pass. Like all other database certifications, PCTA is a prerequisite for the PCTP exam. You must pass PCTA to qualify for the PCTP exam.

On March 18, 2022, after a few days of video lessons, I successfully completed the PCTA exam. You can refer to my learning experience and exam tips in this article: 如何轻松备考,顺利通过TiDB数据库 PCTA考试 - TiDB 的问答社区. Have confidence, as the PCTA exam is not difficult at all.

(PCTA Exam Certificate)

Exams are not the entirety of learning; they are meant to encourage study. After completing the PCTA exam, it’s time to prepare for the PCTP, which is said to be more challenging. So, I’ve been studying the official documentation and practicing in a lab environment to reinforce my memory. To become a qualified TiDBer, you need to understand the various functional modules thoroughly. Otherwise, you won’t know how to troubleshoot and solve problems in production, which is the true purpose of the exam.

Finally, I want to set a goal for myself: I hope to pass the PCTP exam smoothly in the second half of the year.

Opportunities to Participate in the Community

The TiDB community offers a variety of activities, such as the forum’s word-guessing game, which encourages active participation and helps everyone remember TiDB’s technical points. There are also regular live sharing sessions organized by the community, where user technical practices familiarize everyone with TiDB’s application scenarios, and kernel technology sharing helps everyone understand TiDB’s principles and how to contribute. Additionally, there are offline events in various locations.

Speaking of offline events, I must elaborate.

As we moved into mid-May, the weather improved, and the pandemic situation eased. Forum organizers from various regions were eager to organize local TiDB events. Seeing everyone actively participating in the posts, I casually commented, “When will you come to Jinan? I’ll volunteer.” Unexpectedly, @YY-ha noticed my comment.

This comment gave me an opportunity to participate in community activities. After communicating with @数据小黑, @YY-ha, and @Kongdom, we initially drafted the framework for the Jinan event. Because @YY noticed me in the community forum, I quickly transitioned from a community participant to an event organizer. We successfully held the event on July 2, 2022, bringing a breeze to the otherwise calm Jinan open-source community. You can refer to the Jinan event summary post for more details: 【资料下载】TiDB 地区交流济南站 | TiSpark 实践、Greenplum 选型、运维视角下的 Linux 避坑指南... - TiDB 的问答社区.

If you also want to organize or participate in events, you can check out this post: 【地区交流活动回顾 & 资料下载】来看看天津、石家庄、济南、武汉的小伙伴在聊啥~ - TiDB 的问答社区.

2022 TiDB 6.0 - More Possibilities

On April 22, 2022, the TiDB community released TiDB 6.0, which I believe is another milestone version. With enhancements, breakthroughs, and advancements, TiDB will once again impress everyone. I hope to invest more time in researching and using TiDB, just like other experts in the TiDB community. Learning and progressing together with a group is always better than going it alone. I hope to become a TiDB Contributor soon. Keep going!

Finally, I wish TiDB all the best and hope this interesting community can attract more people to work towards the revitalization of China’s foundational software. :muscle:

| username: ddhe9527 | Original post link

Support.

| username: cs58_dba | Original post link

On the road, we are forever young, forever teary-eyed, let’s encourage each other together.

| username: Kongdom | Original post link

:+1::+1::+1:
:joy: I’ve been procrastinating and just silently passing by~

| username: YY-ha | Original post link

Support, support! Thank you, Teacher Afu~

| username: xfworld | Original post link

Bump~ We’ve got some new friends on the way.

| username: 箱子NvN | Original post link

Bumping the thread. Check-in from a beginner :laughing:

| username: cyrusmaster | Original post link

Awesome.

| username: ablewang_xiaobo | Original post link

I hope TiDB becomes increasingly powerful. It is evident that TiDB has addressed some significant pain points of MySQL, bringing about positive effects. In the industry, it is also common to see other peer projects either using TiDB or testing TiDB.

| username: db_user | Original post link

Thumbs up, support, support, I also have a dream of becoming a Contributor.

| username: 阿福Chris | Original post link

Thank you all for your support and love. Today, I have updated the content again because I have recently participated in several events. I am sharing this with everyone to cheer on the TiDBers who are on their way. Go go go~

| username: 半瓶醋仙 | Original post link

It’s all fate.

| username: tjdagang1 | Original post link

Support TIDB, keep it up!

| username: ealam_小羽 | Original post link

:+1::+1::+1:

| username: 边城元元 | Original post link

Wish TiDB all the best.