SQL Error [8118] [HY000]: Failed to build executor. Version tidb-v6.1.0

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: SQL 错误 [8118] [HY000]: Failed to build executor 。版本tidb-v6.1.0

| username: 特雷西-迈克-格雷迪

【TiDB Usage Environment】Production Environment
【TiDB Version】v6.1.0
【Encountered Problem】TiDB prompts: SQL Error [8118] [HY000]: Failed to build executor
【Reproduction Path】1) Contains sum in select 2) left join B on A.id=B.aid and A.num=2, the query SQL reports the above error
【Problem Phenomenon and Impact】TiDB prompts: SQL Error [8118] [HY000]: Failed to build executor

| username: db_user | Original post link

It feels like a bug: ERROR 8118 (HY000): Failed to build executor · Issue #27501 · pingcap/tidb · GitHub

| username: ShawnYan | Original post link

What specific statement was executed? grant xxxx?

| username: 特雷西-迈克-格雷迪 | Original post link

Just grant select on xxx.* to user@‘%’

Was this executed in DBeaver? Which version of the MySQL connector is referenced?

I get the same error when executing on the command line
~]# mysql -V
mysql Ver 8.0.20-11 for Linux on x86_64 (Percona Server (GPL), Release 11, Revision 159f0eb)

The background information is still too little, could you please provide the minimal reproducible scenario statement?

The default value of tidb_distsql_scan_concurrency is 15. If you have a large number of concurrent queries, you can try reducing this value to see if it helps.

The bug is clear: after a left join, adding ‘and other_table.field’ and having sum() in the select statement will result in the error: [8118] [HY000]: Failed to build executor.

If it’s an inner join, there will be no error.

| username: Billmay表妹 | Original post link

I see the same error, it should be the BUG mentioned above ~ Surprisingly, the fix progress is visible on the GitHub link.

I don’t know if it’s the same issue, but the scenario is different. There were no errors in version v5.4.0.

| username: onlyacat | Original post link

According to your suggestion, I constructed a simple case, but still couldn’t reproduce the issue. If possible, it would be best to provide the table creation statements and the shortest possible SQL.

The following statement reports an error

select d.tid, smi.tid, b.tid,
SUM(CASE WHEN d.period < '2020-01' THEN d.pay ELSE 0 END) AS beforeYearAmt 
FROM testdbs.`m_info` smi
     INNER JOIN testdbs.`b2_info` d
           ON smi.code = d.code1 AND d.type1 = '03' AND smi.code3 = 'S21011'
     LEFT JOIN testdbs.`h_info` a ON smi.code4 = a.code AND smi.type3 = '01'
     LEFT JOIN testdbs.`b1_info` b ON a.btestcode = b.code
WHERE d.code2 = 'S21011'
      AND d.period <= '2021-12'
LIMIT 10

I have already posted the steps to reproduce the issue in the reply above, please take a look.

Check the current SQL mode settings?

STRICT_TRANS_TABLES, NO_ZERO_IN_DATE, NO_ZERO_DATE, ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO, NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

The current phenomenon is:

1. Using the default sql_mode setting
TiDB> select d.tid,smi.tid ,b.tid , SUM(CASE WHEN d.period < '2020-01' THEN d.pay ELSE 0 END) AS
beforeYearAmt FROM testdbs.m_info smi INNER JOIN testdbs.b2_info d ON smi.code = d.code1 AND d.type1 = 03 AND smi.code3 = 'S21011' LEFT JOIN testdbs.h_info a ON smi.code4 = a.code AND smi.type3 = 01 LEFT JOIN testdbs.b1_info b ON a.btestcode = b.code WHERE d.code2 = 'S21011' AND d.period <= '2021-12' LIMIT 10;
ERROR 8123 (HY000): In aggregated query without GROUP BY, expression #1 of SELECT list contains nonaggregated column 'tid'; this is incompatible with sql_mode=only_full_group_by
  1. After modifying sql_mode
TiDB> set sql_mode = 'STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION';

TiDB> select d.tid,smi.tid ,b.tid , SUM(CASE WHEN d.period < '2020-01' THEN d.pay ELSE 0 END) AS
beforeYearAmt FROM testdbs.m_info smi INNER JOIN testdbs.b2_info d ON smi.code = d.code1 AND d.type1 = 03 AND smi.code3 = 'S21011' LEFT JOIN testdbs.h_info a ON smi.code4 = a.code AND smi.type3 = 01 LEFT JOIN testdbs.b1_info b ON a.btestcode = b.code WHERE d.code2 = 'S21011' AND d.period <= '2021-12' LIMIT 10;
ERROR 8118 (HY000): Failed to build executor
  1. After modifying sql_mode and removing AND smi.type3 = '01'
beforeYearAmt FROM testdbs.m_info smi INNER JOIN testdbs.b2_info d ON smi.code = d.code1 AND d.type1 = 03 AND smi.code3 = 'S21011' LEFT JOIN testdbs.h_info a ON smi.code4 = a.code  LEFT JOIN testdbs.b1_info b ON a.btestcode = b.code WHERE d.code2 = 'S21011' AND d.period <= '2021-12' LIMIT 10;
+------+------+------+---------------+
| tid  | tid  | tid  | beforeYearAmt |
| NULL | NULL | NULL |          NULL |
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

Step 2: Isn’t the sql_mode you set the same as mine?

Step 3: Why remove AND smi.type3 = '01'?

If you think the SQL is not standard, you can execute it like this:

SELECT d.code2, a.code, b.code,
           SUM(CASE WHEN d.period < '2020-01' THEN d.pay ELSE 0 END) AS beforeYearAmt
FROM testdbs.m_info smi 
INNER JOIN testdbs.b2_info d ON smi.code = d.code1 
            AND d.type1 = '03' AND smi.code3 = 'S21011'
LEFT JOIN testdbs.h_info a ON smi.code4 = a.code AND smi.type3 = '01'
LEFT JOIN testdbs.b1_info b ON a.btestcode = b.code
WHERE d.code2 = 'S21011'
              AND d.period <= '2021-12'
GROUP BY d.code2, a.code, b.code
LIMIT 10;
| username: onlyacat | Original post link

I took a quick look and found that it was because the master changed some calculation methods in the basePhysicalJoin within the PhysicalPlan. I’ll take another look in the next few days.