Talent Plan 2022 TinySQL Self-Organized Study Camp Registration Post

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: Talent Plan 2022 TinySQL 自组织学习营报名帖

| username: LIMBO42

Talent Plan 2022 TinySQL Self-organized Learning Camp

Talent Plan 2022 TinySQL Database Programming [Self-organized] Online Learning Camp is now open

Hello everyone, I am Jiang Yuchen from Nanjing University. Previously, my study of databases was limited to the knowledge taught by teachers in school, and I felt it was insufficient. Therefore, I wanted to further deepen my understanding of distributed relational databases. With the support of the teachers in the Talent Plan learning community, I applied to host this TinySQL learning camp. Here, we will learn about cutting-edge distributed relational database knowledge together.

SQL, relational algebra, from how the Parser parses semantics to how the executor executes semantics, and finally understanding how the optimizer selects the optimal execution plan; for this knowledge, we not only need to understand it but also solve it through code this time!

Here we have senior engineers from the TiDB ecosystem bringing weekly mentor sharing sessions to help you learn and solve doubts. At the same time, we can discuss and learn with distributed database enthusiasts from all over the country.

In addition, we have prepared generous benefits for everyone. Come and join us!!!

Event Benefits

• Teams with outstanding performance will receive cash rewards. The top 10 teams of fresh graduates will get direct interview opportunities for PingCAP’s 2023 spring and fall internship recruitment.

• Experience sharing from senior engineers in the TiDB ecosystem

• Rewards and points, see the information overview (information overview post address to be updated)

• All teams that pass the assignments (60 points and above) will receive exquisite Talent Plan peripherals and course completion certificates

• Outstanding students will be invited to become mentors in the Talent Plan learning community

Event Information

• Learning period: July 6, 2022 ~ August 14, 2022

• Registration period: From now until July 6

• Results announcement date: August 17, 2022

• Target audience: College students and engineers interested in learning distributed databases and distributed storage. Excludes graduates of previous TinySQL courses

• Learning format:

• Teams of 2 people, register in the name of the team

• Mainly online self-study, each team only needs to submit one assignment

• Regularly synchronize learning progress and set up a progress leaderboard

• Sharing sessions as learning aids

• Learning camp sharing schedule

Week Time Topic Speaker Matching Course Progress
W1 July 7, 8:00 pm ~ 8:45 pm Learning camp kick-off SQL and relational data introduction PingCAP Wang Yanguang, PingCAP Wang Cong Lab 1
W2 July 14, 8:00 pm ~ 8:45 pm Parser and asynchronous Schema change process PingCAP Xie Tengjin Lab 2
W3 July 21, 8:00 pm ~ 8:45 pm System R search framework and code implementation Bytebase Junyi Lab 3
W4 July 28, 8:00 pm ~ 8:45 pm Join and Access Path selection PingCAP Cui Yiding Lab 4
W5 August 4, 8:00 pm ~ 8:45 pm Executor - Volcano model and vectorization, Hash Join/Aggregate DigitalChina Jiang Kun Lab 5
W6 August 11, 8:00 pm ~ 8:45 pm Percolator transaction model PingCAP Yang Yunwei Lab 6
| username: rogerwang | Original post link

Thank you to classmate Jiang Yuchen for enthusiastically organizing and fully supporting.

| username: rogerwang | Original post link

Previously, we conducted several training camps focused on TinyKV and distributed transactions. We haven’t done a training camp for TinySQL mainly because:

1. We felt the course wasn’t good enough.
  2. We were concerned that there wouldn’t be many learners, as TinySQL is derived from TiDB Server and focuses on the relational database kernel. Unlike TinyKV, which can serve as the storage foundation for many distributed systems.

Later, we made some optimizations for TinySQL, mainly in documentation and code comments, enhancing the systematization and coherence of the documentation. We also integrated distributed transactions, and most future AI4DB courses will also be included in TinySQL, such as the currently developing Learn Based Cost Estimation and Cardinality Estimation.

Many students have expressed a desire to understand how the database kernel’s Parser, DDL, optimizer, and executor are implemented through code. A deep understanding of these contents is useful not only for kernel developers but also for DBA engineers and application development engineers.

The first TinySQL learning camp received strong support from Dong Yu, the head of PingCAP Compute Engine department, and his team. Special thanks to Wang Cong, Teng Jin, Yi Ding, Yun Wei, Bytebase’s Jun Yi, and Shenma Jiang Kun. We also had the enthusiastic organization of Nanjing University’s Jiang Yuchen.

So let’s get started. Over a little more than 6 weeks, under the guidance of 6 mentors, we will systematically learn and implement the kernel of a relational database.

Both students and engineers can sign up. Please also provide us with issues and PRs to help continuously improve the TinySQL course.

| username: Jiawei | Original post link

Does it have to be only students?

| username: CuteRay | Original post link

Go go go

| username: 我是咖啡哥 | Original post link

Everyone can.

| username: raygift | Original post link

Support, support.

| username: db_user | Original post link

I want to learn, I want to learn.

| username: TiDBer_Rlu0ln7v | Original post link

Does it have to be two people?

| username: Myth | Original post link

Looking forward to the new session of the TinyKV learning camp!

| username: tidb狂热爱好者 | Original post link

I’ll sign up first and wait for the boss to organize the team.

| username: haiboumich | Original post link

May I ask if this course is demanding? Based on past experience, on average, how much time will this course require each day?

| username: Hi70KG | Original post link

I’m worried about the course assignments being too tight. I hope the video can be uploaded to the official website!

Sign me up, sign me up. How do we form a team?

May I ask if this event corresponds to Path (1) in the “Talent Plan” where you implement a mini version of a distributed relational database?
https://learn.pingcap.com/learner/talent-plan/implement-a-mini-distributed-relational-database

| username: danielzbc | Original post link

I want to learn!

| username: cheng | Original post link

Is there anyone who wants to form a team together?

| username: LIMBO42 | Original post link

One person is also fine.

| username: LIMBO42 | Original post link

Yes, tinySql path.