TiDB Performance Issues

Note:
This topic has been translated from a Chinese forum by GPT and might contain errors.

Original topic: TIDB性能问题

| username: 每天当牛马

Is there a report comparing the performance of a single-node TiDB cluster deployment with MySQL?

| username: Fly-bird | Original post link

TiDB on a single machine can’t outperform MySQL; you can test it yourself.

| username: 每天当牛马 | Original post link

Is there any official conclusion or report? The test results show a difference of 3-4 times, and I need to report it.

Or should I deploy multiple TiKV instances on a single server? Would that be useful?

| username: 春风十里 | Original post link

A single machine can’t outperform MySQL. I remember someone in the community did an experiment on this.

| username: zhanggame1 | Original post link

Unless you have multiple NVMe physical drives, with each TiKV pointing to a separate physical drive, the speed will significantly improve.

| username: 小龙虾爱大龙虾 | Original post link

By design, TiDB is not meant to run on a single machine, so this comparison is meaningless.

| username: 路在何chu | Original post link

There’s no need to compare, it’s meaningless. TiDB on a single machine definitely can’t compete with MySQL.

| username: 江湖故人 | Original post link

Comparing single machines is not very meaningful. You can refer to the image below:
TiDB VS MySQL Performance - Alibaba Cloud Developer Community (aliyun.com)

| username: linnana | Original post link

Single-node deployment is generally used for testing functionality.

| username: Kongdom | Original post link

:yum: If you can only compare on a single machine, it is recommended to deploy TiDB on a single node and then test after the data volume of a single table rises to over hundreds of millions. With small data volumes, MySQL will definitely have the advantage.

The current usage scenario involves 210,000 data tables, with only a few rows of data per table. Previously, MySQL was used, but now we are adapting to the TiDB database for localization. The deployment method is to deploy each component on a single server. The current test conclusion is that the performance is significantly worse than MySQL. I would like to see if there are any official conclusions.

:flushed: For tables with only a few rows of data, you can try small table caching.

However, given your description, it seems like using Redis might be better since each table only has a few rows of data.

Currently, I have deployed TiDB on a single server, and it takes about 180ms to create a single table. The same table in MySQL only takes 20ms. Is this difference normal, and is there any way to improve the table creation speed?

How many TiKVs do you have? Try deploying just one on a single machine.

:flushed: Can I ask about the server configuration? Additionally, I suggest deploying a single instance with 1 TiDB, 1 PD, and 1 TiKV.

Server performance: 24 cores, 48 threads

Currently, it is deployed like this.

Executing a single SQL in a distributed system is definitely slower than on a single machine, as each component needs to go through network calls.

Are there any optimization solutions? Currently, only a single server is allowed, and the time difference compared to MySQL table creation is too large. Are there any configuration changes that can improve this speed?